Monday, January 14, 2008

Christmas Tree Delima


Though I've never been a Christmas enthusist, I have warmed to the idea over the years. So much so that for the past few years I have taken the time to eke out a little space for my annual dolled up tree branch, ala Charlie Brown Christmas. This little symbol of Christmas has been enough for me to hang a few homemade decorations and lite up a corner of the room with as much Christmas as I need or want.
This year however, I scoured the well manicured streets and parks of Los Angeles to no avail. I couldn't find ONE tree branch. I got on line to find out the truth about christmas trees...artificial and real. It seems real trees are bad because they use fertilizers that go into the water supply, gas to transport them, and when they break down they release co2. Artificial aren't better since they utilize chemicals to produce, are often made in China which means a lot of resources to get them here etc. etc.
I had resigned myself to not having a tree when I found the perfect little live tree at the grocery store. It was perfect! And the best part....I can use it next year. If I don't kill it.

No comments: