Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Little Indulgence In the Desert


Outside of a quick and very entertaining camel safari in the Thar desert and a van break down in Death Valley while moving to California, I've not spent much time in the desert. After a very serious bout with the Flu recently, I decided I needed to seek out the healing waters. Only 2 hours east of L.A. are the many mineral spas of Desert Hot Springs California.
With only a days notice, we were able to find a great place that accepted dogs. I wasn't sure what to expect, as the last time I went to a sauna was in San Francisco with my friend Annie. The place was really just a couple of capsule like saunas, packed with people whom you couldn't avoid touching. I won't go into the details....but the conditions were a little sickening...really.
The Hacienda Inn was perfect! We spent almost every minute there in warmth, looking out into a very clear desert sky. There were few guests there, so it was very peaceful and Rufus loved the two dogs, Gracie and Shanti, who wandered the property and played with him.
To top it off it wasn't expensive. Less expensive than going to the doctor and much more therapeutic.

No comments: