Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Nature in the city






Most people who live in a beautiful town like Athens think living in a city to be, well, unthinkable. So, often the reaction I got when telling an Athenian I was moving to L.A. was this little scrunch of the nose and then a quiet "why?". One of my friends warned me that everyone in L.A. is like the vapid guys on Entourage. Still another friend, well an acquaintance, said it would steal my soul. I had my doubts. But part of the reason I chose L.A. over N.Y.C. was the hope that nature would be more accessible here. I haven't been disappointed.

In fact the neighborhood I live in at the moment has actual trails running through every part of it! There is so much to see! If you tire of looking at the houses (there is a Richard Neutra house around the corner) you can hike down the side of the mountain. The smell of sage and honeysuckle is everywhere!

Of course, we won't live in this neighborhood forever. I suppose Griffith Park will have to do. Though it is not as nice as Central Park, what with the depressing remnants of the old Zoo, it is still alive with birthday parties, hikers, and plenty of dogs. People seem to love the outdoors here. I think my soul is safe for now

No comments: