Saturday, August 12, 2006

Annabelle the sad dog gets happy

k
I first saw Annabelle's oh so sweet face on a pet and walk visit to Athens Animal Control. She was laying on the cold cement floor and unlike most other dogs seemed to have accepted her potential fate. I thought for sure someone would be charmed by her. When I called to check her status several days later (the day before the 4th of July), I was shocked to learn she was still there and would most likely be destroyed over the holiday. There are only two ways for a dog to get out of the pound and something about Annabelle pushed me to make sure it was on foot, or should I saw paw.
With only 15 minutes before Animal Control closed I drove as fast as I could to put a hold on her. I got her 3 days later and realized there is yet another way to get out of the pound. Annabelle was so affraid that we had to CARRY her out to the car. She has gone from a very frightened sweetheart to a playful thoughtful one.
This morning we took Annabelle on a home visit. She was a little nervous, but the couple who are trying things out with her are the perfect energy for this laid back girl. They seem exceptionally sweet and flexible. Tim asked the man of the couple "Is she as you remember her?" To which he said "She's cuter than I remember." Just what we wanted to hear! Much like people, if you fall in love with a dog the inevitable difficulties seem surmountable.

No comments: