Saturday, August 11, 2007

Self Serve Please...Car Culture Part 2



Gas is not cheap in Los Angeles, so it is important to pay attention to prices and make sure you don't run out in a pricey part of town. As I have mentioned, I was having a run of yucky stomach a few weeks ago and had taken to keeping plastic bags in the car. On this day however my stomach had rebelled even before I got in the car. I was thankful I was not in the car and yet the interior of the car is a little more private than the down stairs restroom of Whole Foods. Needless to say I got the deed done, and since I didn't feel much better I bought a Ginger Brew hoping it would stave off a repeat performance. After all, it's tough to keep your eyes open while your giving up your lunch.
As I drove down Wilshire, through Beverly Hills, I realized I was on empty. By this time I was shaky again and didn't know if I had it in me to pump the gas myself. So, I pulled into a full service station. Now, I haven't been to one of these since I was a kid. I remember habitually giving the service guy a thumbs up the entire time he pumped the gas as if it was some well known ritual.
Today things were different. I pulled up in my dirty, year 2000 Toyota, Corolla. I could hardly look at the service guy, which I felt guilty about. "Fill er up", I said through a pre vomit haze. He did as I instructed. I took a few sips of my ginger brew, opened the car door, and rested on the steering wheel. After he pumped the gas he went on to put air in my tires, and wash my windows. "O.k. O.k. I just want to get home. I don't need all that.", I said punctuating each o.k. with my ginger brew. "But you just paid $3.50 a gallon. Don't you want the full service?", he asked eyeing my brew. "NO. I don't feel good. I gotta get home.", I said mopping my brow. "What's in the bottle? That a NewCastle?", he asked suspiciously. "NO!! It's Ginger Brew..like ginger ale. I'm sick." "Ahuh.", he replied.
I could see his point. Why would someone in a Toyota Corolla spend the money on full service. Once I felt that I had convinced him of my innocence, I opened up my stash of crystalized ginger and nibbled while driving. I even made it home with out needing that plastic bag.

No comments: