Friday, August 17, 2007

Car Culture Part 1


I knew before I moved to L.A. that I would be spending a lot of time in the car. A lot....Hmmm maybe that's not quit the right word. In any case, I have made a point of not indulging in truly complaining about the traffic since let's face it.. it doesn't help.
So I've taken to looking at all of the maudlin challenges of being in the car as little lessons. Up until recently the only thing I had really learned was how to drive like a South Indian... This can be loosely condensed into a few guildlines. 1. Pay close attention 2. Do not react emotionally to the asshole in the S.U.V. Mercedes who is running you of the road while talking to his banker on his cell phone....(as Darell Allen once said.."He can't hep it") 3. Think about all of the things that really matter to you. 4. Swerve baby swerve.
Everything changed last week when I learned a new very helpful skill. If you are easily grossed out stop reading now! (that means you Aarron). Working through several days of a sour stomach, the drive home had become the worst part. I thought if I could just get home I would be o.k.
On one particular day the stop and go had pushed me toooo far. I couldn't believe it! I had to vomit and through that sweaty pre vomit phase I couldn't manage to bully anyone into letting me pull over. The talk radio that was so interesting a few minutes before had become like a wet wool blanket smothering and scratching me. I realized I would have to get this thing done in the car. I turned off the radio, quickly positioned a plastic bag over the steering wheel and waited for the launch. Now that is some multitasking! Yes, I know this is gross, but I was amazed that this feet was even possible!
When it was done I simply tied the bag up and continued my journey home. Now I always carry a bag in the car and listen to talk radio a little less.

1 comment:

alex nackashi said...

I am most impressed by how nonchalant this all seemed.